Monday, December 28, 2009

Changes to Energy Outlook Comment System

As I noted at the end of last Tuesday's posting, Haloscan, the comment system I've relied on for this blog since 2004, is being discontinued. After searching for alternatives that would both provide a simple interface for new comments and preserve the thousands of old comments here, I've decided to upgrade to Echo, the successor to Haloscan. The migration of old comments could take several days, though new comments should be in Echo format starting immediately.

I intend to customize the comment interface to make it as easy as possible for you to say what's on your mind. That might not be quite as simple as with Haloscan, which had flaws and quirks of its own. At a minimum, you may have to choose between inputting some information to show up as other than "Guest" or logging in with a "social media" account such as Twitter, Facebook, etc.

I'll do what I can to make this all seamless, including allowing comments to appear before they've been moderated, as before. In the meantime I'll ask for your patience while I sort out any bugs. Hopefully, the biggest change to get used to will be seeing the newest comment at the top of the thread instead of the bottom, and everything else will be an improvement. I look forward to your continued feedback on my postings, and on how the new comment system works.

No comments: